Pennies for Poverty! 2 Cents 4 Change
Non Profit Organizations
Pennies for Poverty is a local all-volunteer organization committed to bringing the community together to help people in need. Founded in 2008, Pennies' work is based on the belief that if everyone does a little, together we can have a significant impact on local poverty. Our work is focused on:
• Raising funds to address urgent needs at local social service agencies. We raise money in ways that the agencies we serve do not or cannot undertake, including community events and donation boxes in local stores.
• Increasing awareness and educating about poverty in Greater Newburyport. We do this through newsletter and social media postings of recent research and relevant articles as well as public forums on key topics.
• Helping people in need find ways of getting help through our online mobile-friendly searchable directory: resources.penniesforpoverty.org. It is used by social service providers as well as people in need of services.
• Promoting volunteerism by advocating use of VolunteerMatch.org and recruiting on behalf of local organizations that cannot do it themselves. We coordinate delivery of bread 6 days a week to people at public housing, councils on aging, food pantries and others in need. We also coordinate transportation to a local food pantry and deliver groceries to shut ins.
• Publicizing food drives, fundraisers and other events of local social service agencies. We aim to energize the community around all agency fundraisers and events.
- Increasing awareness and educating about poverty in Greater Newburyport
- Fundraising to address urgent needs and supporting underfunded programs at local anti-poverty agencies
- Helping people in need find ways of getting help through our online directory: resources.penniesforpoverty.org
- Promoting volunteerism by advocating use of VolunteerMatch.org by local non-profits and publicizing it to residents
- Publicizing food drives, fundraisers and other events of local anti-poverty agencies