MASSHIRE MERRIMACK VALLEY WORKFORCE BOARD
POSITION VACANCY NOTICE
(OPEN TO IN AND OUT OF HOUSE CANDIDATES)
POSITION TITLE: MMVWB Youth Counselor
REPORTS TO: MassHire MVWB Deputy Director
HIRING RANGE: Mid to High $40,000’s
The Youth Counselor will play an important role in implementing the wide array of MassHire Merrimack Valley Workforce Board (MMVWB) programs available for area youth. These include, but are not limited to, the MMVWB Connecting Activities, Reentry Opportunities for Youth, YouthWorks Summer, and YouthWorks Year Round programs. The Youth Counselor will be supervised by the MMVWB Deputy Director, often working on projects directly managed by MMVWB Youth Workforce Program Manager or the Senior Program Manager, and in collaboration with MassHire Merrimack Valley Career Center staff. This position will build on excellent relations with partners, trainers and employers to maximize the effectiveness and value of youth programs. The Youth Counselor will improve the life prospects of enrolled youth by providing college and career guidance and job referrals and assist the MMVWB in attaining stated contractual outcomes.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Youth Counselor will be an integral part of the MMVWB team providing career readiness activities and access to occupational skills training and work opportunities for in-school and out-of-school youth. This position will primarily focus on implementing current MMVWB youth programs, and as new ones are developed and funded, the Youth Counselor will be integrated into their implementation as well. MMVWB’s existing workforce programs for youth include:
- The Connecting Activities Program that provides high school students with “work-based learning” experiences and other career development activities that support their preparation for college and careers.
- The YouthWorks Summer Program - a subsidized employment program to provide low-income teens and young adults, 14 to 21 years of age, with their first employment experiences, work-readiness training, and the skills to find unsubsidized work.
- YouthWorks YearRound - a subsidized occupational skills training program for out of school youth.
- Reentry Opportunities for Youth which will provide 95 court involved 18-24 year old Lawrence residents with wrap around services and occupational skills training to achieve employment or enrollment in higher education.
The Youth Counselor’s main responsibilities on all programs will include, but not be limited to:
- Providing career exploration, job seeking skills, and job readiness workshops, often in area high schools. Workshops content will come from existing curriculum and Counselor developed lesson plans.
- Counseling/coaching individual youth as they develop career plans and prepare for employment or post-secondary education.
- Coordinating and assisting in leading career development activities such as industry panels or company tours.
- Facilitating work opportunities for youth, including:
- coordination with MMVWB and MassHire Merrimack Valley Career Center staff;
- compiling youth work applications and verifying employment eligibility and authorization;
- connecting with employers, compiling worksite agreements, designing internships, and coordinating placements;
- assisting youth in navigating and learning from work experience.
- Case management during occupational skills training programs, including:
- Outreach, recruitment, assessment and enrollment;
- Coaching participants during training;
- Assisting with job placement;
- Providing retention services;
- Data entry, filing, and ensuring confidentiality;
- Arranging teacher externships.
- Being a team player to ensure all task related to implementing MMVWB programs are completed to ensure success.
The Youth Counselor may also be asked to perform other duties as assigned by his/her supervisor. Duties may be performed during evenings and weekends when key program delivery events are taking place, and the Youth Counselor needs to be available at these times.
The preferred candidate will hold a bachelor’s degree. This may be substituted with 4 (four) or more years of related, and increasingly responsible experience working with diverse youth populations in organized activities or programs. The individual should have good “people skills” and be confident in engaging and motivating youth. Previous experience with youth programming and workshop facilitation a plus. Good verbal and written communication skills are required. Candidates should have high computer proficiency, especially with Excel and database entry and reporting. Must demonstrate strong problem-solving skills and the ability to work in a team. Must have own transportation and be willing to travel throughout the Merrimack Valley. Available to work flexible work hours is required. Bilingual English/Spanish a plus. Must pass a CORI check.
POSTING DATE: March 21, 2019
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Until Closed
PLEASE SUBMIT RESUME TO: Beverly Stopyra, Human Resources/Quality Assurance Manager
MassHire Merrimack Valley Workforce Board
255 Essex St., 4th Floor
Lawrence, MA 01840
PLEASE SUBMIT COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO: email@example.com
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY