Greater Newburyport Chamber of Commerce and Industry
Director of Membership Development Job Description
Reports to: President of Chamber
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full-time
Career Level: Mid-Career
Next Level Progression: Chamber President Level
With over 800 successful members employing over 18,000 employees, the Greater Newburyport Chamber of Commerce and Industry is the tenth largest Chamber in Massachusetts. Inspired by the leaders and craftspeople who carved out a piece of history during our days in ship building and various other industrial revolutions, we remain committed to our unique Yankee character, which includes a passion for creating a vibrant and supportive local economy for all to enjoy.
Basic Scope and Function: The Director of Membership Development (DMD) is the primary face of the Chamber and serves as a key member of the Members’ support system and as a sounding board for businesses in the community. The DMD manages all sales activities in the areas of recruiting new Members and retention of existing Members, including creating ongoing Retention Programs for membership and membership services. The DMD additionally oversees all marketing programs, including advertising for the website and electronic communications, and identifies innovations in programming and Member retention.
The essence of the role is a deep belief that a local Chamber of Commerce can enhance and support the business community for the betterment of the City and its residents and the ability to transmit that belief in an authentic way to attract and retain members.
This role is not a traditional “desk job” but, rather, is an extremely active role and requires extensive travel within the local community and frequent attendance at Membership events and other local-area events on behalf of the Chamber.
- Recruitment of new members based on goals established by President and Board of Directors
(includes outside sales goals)
- Bi-weekly review of detailed written prospect list with President, with updates on progress
- Prompt response to any potential new Member’s direct outreach to the Chamber
- Conducting regular contact and follow up with prospects (via phone, email and in person)
- Serving as initial point of contact for all new and prospective Members
- Maintaining a warm, welcoming experience for all new and prospective Members
- Regular in-person visitation of Members to hear their concerns, address issues and identify future Chamber programming
- Lead and manage the annual Member retention programming, according to goals established by the President and Board of Directors
- Developing and refining the Ambassador Program within the community, including identifying new Ambassadors, cultivating relationships with Ambassadors and working to retain
- Oversee the work of the Member Services Coordinator (in collaboration with President) to support retention efforts and make collection calls
- Host and lead quarterly Member orientation programs- working to incorporate existing
Members as speakers and creating a welcoming environment
- Co-Host and lead monthly Eye Opener networking meetings at Member locations- includes identifying Member hosts with suitable locations
- Identifying marketing opportunities, including sponsorships and events, and sharing those opportunities with Members during the course of their travels
Membership Services Sales
- Actively soliciting advertisements and sponsorships for the Chamber’s electronic and printed communications
- Actively soliciting banner advertisements on the Chamber’s website
- Managing M2M Email Communications with the Social Media and Membership Support roles
- Overseeing the Chamber’s Marketing program
- Innovating, identifying and developing additional revenue streams with approval of President and Board of Directors
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs) required for success:
- Ability to propose and follow through on new ideas- innovative nature and curiosity for change
- Demonstrated history of B2B sales experience, including regular sales goal attainment and appointment-setting skills
- Ability to properly manage to the budget for entertainment and outreach activities
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, and ability to speak effectively in public to groups and privately with individuals
- Ability to develop and share PowerPoint and other graphic presentations that are impactful, informative and attractive
- Sales project management abilities, including ability to plan, develop and execute sales strategies, ability to multi-task and organize and ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Strong organizational skills and self-motivation to work independently
- Ability to also work within a team structure and contribute generously to the success and education of others
- Working knowledge of the Greater Newburyport Area
- Additional duties as needed and as assigned by President of the Chamber (small organizations require flexibility and good nature in taking on additional duties)
This role is primarily an outside sales role and requires extensive local travel. Access to reliable personal transportation is required.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related/appropriate field or equivalent experience
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in a related field with a sales component
- Experience with increasing growth and revenue within a sales function
- Experience with a membership organization preferred
- Experience in the Tourism and Travel industry a plus, Local Business experience a plus
Managerial and Supervisory Experience:
- None required but supervision of one or more individuals is preferred
- The role does not have direct reports but participates in overseeing Chamber staff and contributes to hiring, performance and termination decisions.
Work duties take place in offices and workplaces, but also at events including outdoor events. Employee is primarily shielded from weather but may take part in fully outdoor activities. Work is rated as medium work, occasionally lifting up to 50 pounds (typically Chamber marketing materials and set-up items), regularly lifting up to 30 pounds, frequently/constantly lifting up to 10 pounds. Extensive local travel.
The role also typically requires:
- Standing positions
- Seated positions
- Communication skills including ability to speak to groups and individuals
- Small motor work- grasping, typing, etc.
- Transporting goods or merchandise
The Greater Newburyport Chamber of Commerce and Industry provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $28.00 - $35.00 per hour
- Disability insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Monday to Friday
- Commission pay
Our downtown visitor center is closed to walk-ins and most of our staff are working from home with occasional office visits (temporary) solution.
- Bachelor's (Preferred)
- Sales Experience: 5 years (Required)
- Business Development: 3 years (Required)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19