Pennies for Poverty! 2 Cents 4 Change
- Non Profit Organizations
Pennies for Poverty is a local all-volunteer organization committed to bringing the community together to help people in need. Founded in 2008, Pennies' work is based on the belief that if everyone does a little, together we can have a significant impact on local poverty. Our work is focused on:
• Raising funds to address urgent needs at local anti-poverty agencies. We raise money in ways that the agencies we serve do not or cannot undertake, including community events and donation boxes in local stores.
• Increasing awareness and educating about poverty in Greater Newburyport. We do this through newsletter and social media postings of recent research and relevant articles as well as public forums on key topics.
• Helping people in need find ways of getting help through our online mobile-friendly searchable directory: resources.penniesforpoverty.org. We do regular updates and additions to the directory. It is used by social service providers as well as people in need of services.
• Promoting volunteerism by advocating use of VolunteerMatch.org by local non-profits to publish volunteer needs, publicizing its availability in the community and recruiting volunteers for other non-profits as needed. We also coordinate delivery of bread 6 days a week to people in to public housing, councils on aging, anti-poverty agencies and others in need.
• Publicizing food drives, fundraisers and other events of local anti-poverty agencies. We aim to energize the community around all agency fundraisers and events.
- Increasing awareness and educating about poverty in Greater Newburyport
- Fundraising to address urgent needs and supporting underfunded programs at local anti-poverty agencies
- Helping people in need find ways of getting help through our online directory: resources.penniesforpoverty.org
- Promoting volunteerism by advocating use of VolunteerMatch.org by local non-profits and publicizing it to residents
- Publicizing food drives, fundraisers and other events of local anti-poverty agencies