Newburyport Education Foundation
Newburyport Education FoundationFounded in 2004, the Newburyport Education Foundation (NEF) is a nonprofit foundation that provides financial resources to enhance public education in Newburyport, MA. Thanks to the tireless support and energy of thousands of volunteers and donors, the NEF has donated $3.4M to local schools since its founding, creating unique and transformative opportunities for students, educators, and the broader community.
Executive Director Job Description
Executive Director Job Description
The NEF is now looking to hire a dynamic, mission-driven Executive Director to ensure that the organization continues to fulfill its mission by cultivating and engaging current and new supporters and ensuring that Newburyport Public Schools continue to have the funding necessary to provide an extraordinary education.
The NEF raises funds through a combination of major donors, events, and partnerships with local businesses. Examples of the NEF’s recent impact on Newburyport’s Public Schools include funding for:
- A completely renovated, state-of-the art auditorium, library, and science labs at the Nock-Molin School
- Literacy supplies and classroom libraries at the Bresnahan Elementary School
- Library media center, robotics lab, and graphics lab complete with updated computers and software at Newburyport High School
- Community-based education programs, including field trips and partnership with local businesses
- Critical technology and database upgrades across the entire district
The Executive Director will lead, manage, and oversee all aspects of the organization, from strategy to administration. The position offers a unique opportunity to take this successful, innovative, and well-respected organization to another level of growth. Working with a committed and engaged Board of Directors, local educators, parents, businesses, and other supporters, the new NEF Executive Director will have the opportunity to harness a strong groundswell of support to broaden the organization’s brand and deepen its impact.
The Executive Director of the NEF will possess the following core attributes and competencies:
- Passion for the Mission
- The Executive Director will have a demonstrated passion for public education and galvanizing volunteer support to achieve a common vision and goals.
- Strategic Leadership
- The Executive Director will be a strategic leader who, with the Board, will set and articulate a vision for the organization’s next chapter. S/he will work with stakeholders to implement and continuously improve on the NEF’s strategic approach to future growth and increased impact. S/he will have a demonstrated understanding of how to run a financially sound organization and experience working with volunteers.
The Executive Director will have a clear understanding that fundraising is a fundamental aspect of leading and growing the organization and will enthusiastically lead those efforts. S/he will work in close collaboration with the Board, staff and volunteers to deliver on the NEF’s fundraising goals build and maintain community relationships on behalf of the organization.
Strong candidates will be able to demonstrate an entrepreneurial spirit, including the ability to identify and quickly act on emerging opportunities as well as point to a track record of achieving measurable growth.
A strong belief in the power of an engaged community base is critical for success in this role, as is an understanding of how to spark and maintain grassroots support and work with a wide range of stakeholders, from parents to elected officials to district administrators.
- Passion for and commitment to ensuring high quality public education
- 5+ years of leadership experience in a nonprofit or relevant business environment
- Strong leadership skills demonstrating vision and an entrepreneurial spirit
- Demonstrated experience leading volunteers to measurable results
- Track record of securing funds from donors (both private and corporate) or transferrable skills
- Experience working with a fundraising database and using donor data to create and execute strategic plans
- Highly strategic mindset, including the demonstrated ability to develop and execute plans for growth and reach those goals
- Demonstrated experience managing volunteers and overseeing event planning
- Strong organizational and financial management skills and excellent budgeting and business planning skills
- Experience working with a responsive and engaged Board of Directors and knowledge of Board governance
- Highly developed relationship-building skills and an ability to positively represent the organization to a variety of stakeholders
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, reserves of energy, a good sense of humor and a contagious enthusiasm
- Comfortable with public speaking and presenting to groups along with an ability to inspire audiences around a common mission
- Ability to develop, implement and/or oversee communications, website content, social media, and other written materials
- Prior Experience working with QuickBooks and nonprofit CRMs preferred
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The NEF is an equal opportunity employer and open to all.
The Mission of the Newburyport Education Foundation is to bring philanthropy into the Newburyport Public Schools and generate financial resources that will enhance the quality of public education.
For more information on the NEF, please visit www.newburyportef.org.