Temporary Youth Program Intern
Valley Works Career Center
MERRIMACK VALLEY WORKFORCE INVESTMENT BOARD
POSITION VACANCY NOTICE
(OPEN TO IN AND OUT OF HOUSE CANDIDATES)
POSITION TITLE: TEMPORARY YOUTH PROGRAM INTERN
April through September 2017 -19 hours/week
(Flexible schedule; some evenings and/or weekends)
(Grant Specific – 1 Position Available)
SUPERVISOR: Youth Workforce Program Manager
JOB GRADE: N/A
HIRING RANGE: $15.50 per Hour
Note: This internship position is temporary and does not provide time-off or health benefits.
General Responsibilities: Assist MVWIB and VWCC staff in implementing Healthcare Connecting Activities and the YouthWorks Summer program. The Healthcare Connecting Activities will provide students from two area high schools with career exploration and immersion activities to learn more about health career opportunities. Through the summer YouthWorks program, 229 youth from Lawrence, Haverhill and Methuen will participate in subsidized employment. Connecting Activities will take place from April through June; YouthWorks from May through September.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSBILITIES:
For Healthcare Connecting Activities:
The intern will provide support to MVWIB and VWCC staff to:
- Organize a healthcare employer panel for guidance counselors, students and parents.
- Research health career pathways and create a brochure on this topic.
- Work out the logistics of healthcare company tours and other career immersion and exploration activities with partner high schools.
- Other related duties as assigned.
For YouthWorks Summer:
The intern will provide support MVWIB and VWCC staff in the following:
- Recruitment and enrollment of eligible youth. This will include determining eligibility of youth and ensuring all paperwork is completed in an accurate and timely manner.
- Entering data into Excel spreadsheets and the Skills Library database.
- Maintaining accurate individual youth files that will include the application, eligibility documentation, employment referral, and the Work Based Learning Plan.
- Determining worksite referrals and youth job placement on Match Day.
- Organizing job readiness workshops for groups of up to 40 youth at Haverhill, Methuen, and Lawrence locations.
- Picking up worksite timesheets, reviewing youth work hours and attendance to insure accuracy and delivering timesheets to the DGA Fiscal Department
- Interacting with youth employers as needed.
The intern may also be asked to perform other duties as assigned by his/her Supervisor.
The preferred candidate will hold or be in the process of attaining an Associate’s degree or higher educational degree. This may be substituted with demonstrable experience working with diverse youth populations in organized activities or programs. The individual should have good “people skills” and be confident in engaging and motivating youth. Previous experience with youth programming a plus. Good verbal and written communication skills, and computer proficiency, are required. Must demonstrate strong problem solving skills and the ability to work in a team. Must have own transportation and be willing to travel throughout the Merrimack Valley. Available to work flexible work hours is required. Bilingual English/Spanish a plus. Must pass a CORI check.
POSTING DATE: March 24th, 2017
APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 10th, 2017 by Close of Business
PLEASE SUBMIT Cover letter and resume via email or hard copy to:
Beverly Stopyra, Human Resource / Quality Assurance Manager
Merrimack Valley Workforce Investment Board
Division of Grants Administration
City Hall Annex
255 Essex Street Lawrence, MA 01840