FRS Director of Finance and Administration
First Religious Society, Unitarian Universalist
FRS Director of Finance and Administration
Job Title: Director of Finance and Administration
Reports To: Minister
Position Status: 0.8 FTE, Exempt. The Director of Finance and Administration position is 32 hours per week.
On-site Work Expectations: Mainly expected to be on-site during normal business hours, but some requirements for presence on Sundays mornings (Sept to June) and for some evening meetings.
Position DescriptionThe FRS Director of Finance and Administration (DFA) is responsible for managing the business affairs of the church and working with church members and staff to achieve the church's mission objectives. As a member of the senior leadership team, the DFA works closely with the Minister, the Treasurers, the Parish Board, and the Committee Chairs to ensure the smooth operation of the administrative functions of the parish. The Administrator plays a key role in the total management process of the church including oversight of the physical maintenance and the utilization of church facilities. The DFA is expected to participate in many decision-making activities affecting the operations of the church and participate in establishing strategies based on the analysis and interpretation of financial/membership data and trends.
Office Administration and Recordkeeping
- Oversees function of the office and organizes its activities to ensure smooth day to day operation
- Sets up the process for and oversees maintenance of member files/records and prepares annual report for UUA
- Oversees all general recordkeeping (including non-financial/ non-personnel records)
- Develops and manages technology infrastructure to maintain effective functioning of office
- Oversees administrative personnel (Sexton and Office Administrator)
- Manages and maintains personnel records
- Administers employee policies and procedures including safety-related activities (background checks).
- Responsible for administrative employee recruitment and on-boarding.
- Reviews employee benefits packages, suppliers and recommends changes as needed.
- Ensures compliance with labor laws and practices
Financial Administration & Management
- Develops and modifies the accounting and financial reporting systems to meet the changing needs of the FRS
- Responsible for the oversite and performance of all bookkeeping functions including but is not limited to:
- Assuring the timely payment of FRS bills
- Overseeing receipt, collection, and timely deposit and disbursement of church funds
- Assuring taxes are paid and related reports are filed on time
- Overseeing completion of the periodic payroll
- Making required accounting entries
- Overseeing management of financial records
- Overseeing any other bookkeeping services that might be required
- Monitors financial status, prepares financial reports and makes recommendations related to cash flow and trends
- Works with Finance Committee, Minister and Senior Staff to create and implement annual budget
- Works with Finance Committee to plan and carry out Stewardship Campaign
- Develops, modifies and maintains donor pledging and giving process
- Collaborates with auditor for annual review
- Evaluates insurance needs of Church
- Negotiates and review contracts related to operations
Facilities ManagementResponsible for the management of the day to day functioning of the facilities and systems including but not limited to:
- Overseeing systems/processes for scheduling use of church facilities and resolving scheduling conflicts
- Assessing and monitoring facility maintenance needs
- Obtaining bids, negotiating contracts and overseeing vendors to perform needed services
- Managing cell tower leases and relationships with telecom companies
Required Knowledge, Skills and AbilitiesThe Director of Administration shall have the following knowledge and skills:
- Bachelor degree or equivalent in a related field
- 4 years relevant work experience
- Church/non-profit experience with non-profit accounting training is highly desirable
- Office management and supervision experience
- Demonstrated financial systems management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a team
- Computer expertise with strong IT skills and knowledge of MS Office applications
- Ability to organize, manage and carry out administrative tasks in a timely manner
- Flexibility to adjust to variations in workload and demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects in an efficient manner
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A commitment to confidentiality regarding all records, both of the church and staff, and the members
- Knowledge of Policy Governance is highly desirable
SalaryThe annual salary for this position is based on the Unitarian Universalist Association's (UUA's) recommended salary range for a "Business Administrator/Director of Administration” in a "Mid Sized III" UUA congregation in Geo Zone #4. (http://www.uua.org/documents/mpl/finances/ geoindex4.pdf). Salary is prorated based on a 0.8 FTE position.
The salary range for this 0.8 FTE position is $42,400 – $52,520/year based upon the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. FRS offers a generous program of benefits including health and life insurance and a retirement benefit (prorated for a 0.8 FTE position).